Dog Poisoning Prevention and Treatment

Many people will take time to childproof their homes when expecting a new baby but many don’t think to “dog-proof” their homes for their dog. Many substances that we consider to be safe for humans are sometimes poisonous to our dogs. This article will be a general overview of common poisons and what to do if you think your dog has consumed them.

Some common things in or around a home that are poisonous to your dog include:

1. Prescription or over the counter medications (for pets or humans)
2. Insecticides around the home or in the garden
3. Household products and cleaners- including lawn or pool products
4. Some people food – chocolate, nuts, raisins, grapes, avocados, etc.
5. Some plants – Azaleas, rhododendrons, sago, tulips, daffodils, etc.
6. Rat control products
7. Certain indigenous toads

Be proactive and find out more about items that can be toxic in order to dog-proof the home environment and protect your dog. The best way to make sure your dog is not the victim of a poisoning is to think ahead and prevent the dog from having access to any harmful substances.

Some of the symptoms of poisoning are the following:

> Vomiting
> Diarrhea
> Drooling/hyper salivating
> Seizures
> Weakness or collapse
> Vomiting blood
> Pale gums

The first thing you should do if you suspect your dog has been poisoned is secure your dog and call your Animal Poison Control Center. You should have this and your vet’s phone number on hand in case of an emergency.

In Australia, you should call the poison Information Centres (Australia-wide) 131126 or American Association of Poison Control Centers in the US at 1-800-222-1222. If you find that the country in which you reside does not have an animal poison hotline, calling a poison control hotline for humans may help yield results.

Next, if your dog has vomited, take a sample to the vet to be examined. Do not try to make your dog vomit as this may cause more harm than good. Also, take a sample of the substance you believe may be the cause of the poisoning for the vet to examine. Most importantly, try to keep yourself and your dog calm and act as quickly as possible. There is only a limited amount of time the vet has to pump your dog’s stomach or render other appropriate treatment.

Please join us for our next post,

Shiraz

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *